Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Random Ramblings Part 2

Time: 5 years later

Scene: Hyatt Lobby

Man: Hey, aren’t you the same chick I met at the wedding 5 years back

Woman: Huh! No I am not.

Man: Don’t lie to me

Woman: I am not lying; really I am NO CHICK you met at a party

Man: Ok, I get it. I am sorry, are you the same lady I met at the party

Woman: You haven’t changed one bit. You are beyond repair and totally not worth my time. Anyway how may I help you?

Man: I am here for an interview. What brings you here?

Woman: What interview?

Man: Ah, you know I got through IIM Ahd (with characteristic smug), am here to interview for McKinsey. What about you?

Woman: I am here to interview you for McKinsey.

Man: Holy cr$%!

Woman: Well that’s a good start. I am here for a smoke. Will see you in some time, till then why don’t you comb your hair, and may be wash your face as well. You hardly look like you’ll make a good impression otherwise.

Woman exits

Man (to himself): This can’t be happening. How can she be with McKinsey? Is she playing with me? Let me check.Shit, I don’t even know her name. What should I do now? May be wash my face first.

(Rumbles) This will also pass. This will also pass

Exeunt!

Scene: Room No. 69, 20 minutes later

A smartly dressed woman is sitting. She calls the reception

Woman: Please send the next candidate in.

3 minutes later.

Man: May I come in?

Woman: Yes, please. Have a seat.

Man (Shivering): Hi, I am Yash.

Woman: Good to have you here Yash. I am Shivangi. I am an Engagement Manager with McKinsey. So let us start with your brief background.

Yash: Errr…Ummmm. My nnamme is Yash Johar, no I mean Yash Gupta. I am a ….

(To himself) I can’t do it. This can’t be happening. How can I be working under her? Lame girl, with a thick accent and no brain.

…………………….I am a team player. My biggest strengths are my team skills….. I love …………

I believe my 2 years at IIM Ahd have………………

……………………………………………

Shivangi(smiling): Ok, that was impressive. So you are a national level debater. Why don’t you speak for 2 mins on “Women make better manager than men?”

Yash: (to himself) Yes of course. Bitch!

That’s a nice topic. Let me just recollect my thoughts.

1 minute later. Ok here I go:

Women have been at the forefront………..

………………………………………….

…………………………………………

Therefore I believe women make better managers than men.

Shivangi: That was pretty convincing. Ok let us get to a case now. A case study is a critical component of our recruiting process. Case studies are descriptions of real or hypothetical business problems. Candidates are expected to understand, analyze, and recommend solutions to these problems. So are you ready?

Yash: Sure!

Shivangi: A client of ours, a small flower chain store has asked us to evaluate the potential of setting up a store, near a famous banquet hall (booked almost 200 days a year). They believe that a lot of men who attend weddings/parties look out for their prospective partners there. What factors will you consider while accepting or refuting the clients’ hypothesis?

Yash (to himself) I can’t believe her, is she trying to target me for what I did 5 years ago.

Ummm..Shivangi that’s an interesting case………………….

……………………………………………………………….

……………………………………………………………….

So I would recommend the client to reconsider his decision.

Shivangi: Well the client asked you to evaluate the potential. So there is no question of reconsidering. Anyway I guess that’s it from our side. Do you have any questions for me?

Yash: (in a trance)

Shivangi: Yashhhh. Do you have any questions for me?

Yash: Yea, sure. If I may ask. What did you do after NIFT?

Shivangi: Well nothing specific really. I worked with Ralph Lauren for 4 years and then went to HBS and finally chose to work with McKinsey.

Yash (Surprised): But weren’t you in NIFT 5 years earlier? The timelines don’t make any sense.

Shivangi: Yea..at that time I had already graduated from NIFT. Any other question?

Yash: Are you married?

Shivangi: You may go now Mr.Gupta. You will be informed of the next steps in an email. Please be patient for a few days. Thank you.

Yash: Thank you Shivangi

Exeunt!

Disclaimer: The events mentioned in the scene are fictitious. Any resemblance to real events is coincidental. McKinsey interview process may differ radically from what is mentioned in the scene.

No comments: