Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Coffee and conversations!

Ok, so it is confirmed. The economy is under severe recession. So what? ‘You, me and hum’ are safe. Of-course only inefficient and non-performers get fired. Nothing will happen to me. Or so I thought.

Until it happened. The axe fell. And now I am without a job. Could this really happen? I had always been the best. I attended the best of institutes, got the best grades; my boss said I was his support system; his back bone. How can one throw away his back bone with such disdain?

My brain has started conjuring scary images. What now? How do I tell my friends? What about my parents? What about my wife, my children?

This was not how it was meant to be. I was supposed to have my first car by the time I was 26. I was supposed to move into the 4 BHK South Ex flat before I completed 10,593 days on planet earth. I was supposed to direct my first movie by the time I was 33. Pray, why me?

Am I doomed to die in poverty? Was I destined to be a loser?

Suddenly it starts to rain. There is a deafening noise. An image slowly appears.

Image: My child, I am God. Why are you so upset?

Man: You are asking me this. You brought it on me. Why me. I always studied. I never did anything wrong. Why this?

Image: My son, when I conceived the world, I decided that I would let a man make his own destiny. But this was too much power in the hands of certain people who ended up making their destiny and deciding it for the others. It corrupted the world. So I introduced the concept of luck/chance. The way I distributed the luck -bucket was random and hence was fair. To make it a little more fair, I gave every human some special powers. The power of optimism, the power of hard work, the power of goodness. This way if luck eluded him; he could still redeem himself through these powers. Those who could recognize these special powers enjoyed life; a life which presented challenge, but was still a lot of fun. Those who did not choked themselves to a meaningless existence.

Recognize these powers my son. Do not despair.

The image disappears…..


Man: God, where are you. Don’t go, talk to me…..Gaaaaaawdd!

You and i in this beautiful world,
green grass....blue sky in this beautiful world


Man wakes up…..Hello. ..Yes this is him. What I got fired… (laughs) You bet I did. Don't worry, I have the power.Thank you and have a great day….!! Bye

Hangs up the phone

(To himself) Wow, I never felt better!

3 comments:

Divs said...

fantastic...
great piece shashwat!!

Shashwat said...

Thank you Divya!!

Himanshu said...

I liked it.