Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Paradox of choice

While in Standard 12th there was only one thing I wanted to do, that was to get into IIT, so I studied day and night and was thrilled when I got through. At IIT I used to live with three people in a room with sub standard infrastructure and attended classes of professors who taught in Greek. But I was very happy; IIT was a vindication of my belief in my talent and myself. But while I was applying for an MBA, I had choices. I got through 3 MBA schools and chose ISB over all others. Now whenever anything went wrong at ISB I used to ask myself if I made the right choice. It was much easier for me to regret my disappointing choice. My mind used to mentally calculate the opportunity cost of my decision and this led to the escalation of expectation that I had from a perfect choice. Thus the extra choice did no good to me, in fact it made me miserable whenever something bad happened as a consequence of the choice I made; say when I didn’t get placed on Day 1, I wondered what would have happened if I had gone to the US. Even though at IIT I didn’t get placed till into the second week of placement I was fine, as I had no choice but this institute. And worse with no choice I could blame the world for my predicament, but here I had all the choices and I was the one who was responsible.

No comments: